Re: Split spec into two or more parts

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 08:25:45 -0500 Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> Straw proposal, three REC track documents:
>
>   XProc 2.0: An XML Pipeline Language
>   XProc 2.0: Required Step Vocabulary
>   XProc 2.0: Optional Step Vocabulary

What's the benefit of having optional steps on the rec track?

And, what's being achieved by having separate documents? Two separate editors?

A down side for me is that it's already difficuly to learn XProc, and having to know whether a step is optional or required makes life harder. Maybe the answer is that we should make a wiki at w3.org with a page for each step, where there could be examples too? In that case I don't see it making much difference, although we might need to issue a patent exclusion (and if a charter change is needed I'm vehemently opposed :-) )