  • From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 18:19:10 +0100
  • Subject: Why do we still not have transclusion in HTML5?
  • To: w3t-tech@w3.org
Copying the IRC thread here and making notes for wider discussion:

[08:38] r12a: mike, one of the things I've never understood about html
is why it is so difficult to pull html fragments from elsewhere into a
page, eg. one paragraph - i see that the object tag in html5 is now
clearly specced to allow html to be included, but it seems to expect a
whole file, like an iframe - am i missing something ?
[09:15] Liam: r12a: you want transclusion! ted nelson would be proud!
[11:17] Mike5: r12a: the use case for that is not all that clear to me
[11:17] Mike5: I mean the use case for doing transclusion on the client
side vs doing it on the server side
[11:18] Mike5: the content has to be same-origin anyway

I'm not so concerned about that.  I'm mostly interested for things like
handling boilerplate text.  The benefit is that you can change
repetitive parts of the page without having to edit every single page,
just like the benefit of using style sheets or .js files. Also, if
translating a page, you can translate all the boilerplate once and just
focus on the meat from page to page (which is what we do for translation
of /International articles, but since we use PHP most of our translators
don't see the translation as it will finally appear on the page).

It also offers a reduction in the footprint of the HTML page, useful for
mobile devices, and improved download speeds, since you can just pick up
the boilerplate text from the cache.

[11:19] Mike5: so it's something everybody does now already -- they just
do it using PHP or whatever

On the contrary, few 'ordinary' people actually have the ability to run
Apache/PHP on their system or sometime even their server (eg. the guy
writing the web pages for his local archery club), but may still want to
do similar things.

[11:20] Mike5: another problem I see with having it on the client side
is that if you save a file to disk and move it around, you can lose
large parts of the content
[11:21] Mike5: it's one thing to have a saved file with missing images
because those didn't get copied over or moved along with the file
[11:21] Mike5: but it's another thing to lose body text due to
moving/copying a file

Sure, but also doing this via HTML rather than PHP would actually mean
that it is *possible* to do what you want from a CD or from somewhere
without a server running.

[11:22] Mike5: and then there's to issue of having nested/recursive
transclusion
[11:23] Mike5: anyway, my take on why it's never been added is that it's
never seemed to have enough real benefits to make it worth it
[11:24] Mike5: the main real benefit seems to just be convenience

Well, I guess I'd argue that it's done a hell of a lot using server-side
scripting, but that only works if you are dealing with a server, and can
use scripting, etc...  Doing transclusion would enable 'ordinary' people
to reap the benefits of this.

[11:26] Mike5: anyway, as far as object, yeah, it's not really transclusion
[11:26] Mike5: it is pretty much like iframe
[11:27] Mike5: in that it creates another browsing context
[11:27] Mike5: nested
[11:29] Mike5: but r12a -- have you read the part of the iframe section
about the seamless attribute?

No, I missed that, I think.

[11:29] Mike5: I think that as far as rendering that would give you the
same effect
[11:30] Mike5: also as far as the CSS cascade, etc.
[11:30] Mike5:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-iframe-element.html#attr-iframe-seamless
[11:38] Mike5: all that said, it's still not real transclusion, because
even with the seamless attribute set, the content of the file the the
iframe pulls in gets parsed as a document
[11:40] Mike5: so if the content of the file is a just a single <p>
etc. … in the DOM

Right. Which is another big reason I actually want proper transclusion.
  What I want is an HTML mechanism equivalent to PHP's include( ), so
that the included HTML just becomes part of the page/DOM and inherits
all the styles, events, etc around it.

I've developed HTML applications since the mid 1990s at Xerox where I
really wanted this capability for documents we needed to run offline as
well as online, but had to work around it in one ungainly way or another
(typically involving XSLT batach processing in those days or framesets).

[17:53] • gerald reads reads Mike5 and r12a chat on transclusion; yes
please! I have wanted that for a decade+
http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.wishlist/msg/559067980e37731a?hl=en
[17:54] gerald: aside from maintenance convenience, I think it would
help with speed and bandwidth usage, e.g. on blog pages that have 500
bytes of original text surrounded by 200KB of blogrolls and other
navigation junk (which could be cached separately)
[17:55] gerald: I have been meaning to try mnot's hinclude to accomplish
the same thing http://www.mnot.net/javascript/hinclude/

RI

PS: Btw, I came back to this because i noticed that you need to declare
the encoding of the file being read in by the object tag, otherwise it
defaults to the browser default, *unless* you stick a UTF-8 BOM at the
start of the file.

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead