Re: xml processor profiles diagram

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM,  <vojtech.toman@emc.com> wrote:
> Great job, it looks very nice - ...and quite complicated at the same time.

thx,

sure its conveying complex relationships, I spent a bit of time on
this and I can't seem to make it any simpler then this.

> I think the reason is that the diagram tries to combine three types of things together: not only the profiles and the classes of information, but also "uncategorized" (the two yellow sets) processor properties such as base URI processing and xml:id processing. I think that having three different types of things in the diagram makes it rather difficult to understand.

agreed, which is why I used the color yellow to try and organise …
leaving out 'Perform ID type assignment' meant we lose information and
if we included that then it made sense to also include 'Process the
document …' & 'Maintain the base uri…'.

> I am actually wondering whether the fact that the diagram has to rely on additional "uncategorized" properties rather than just on the profiles and classes isn't a bug in our specification.

its the spec ;)

> I think that the outer set (processing as required by conformant XML processors + base URI processing) is actually a subset of the Core class and can be removed from the diagram.

I was thinking the same thing, but as I mentioned it seemed strange to
have 'Perform ID type assignment' all by itself and related using
color yellow.

> However, there is no class that would correspond to the other yelow set (xml:id). Should we have one?

I think this is a better representation then the first one I made and
whilst I am happy to make any changes anyone suggests I do think the
diagram in its present form gives some value to the reader. As this
diagram probably represents the pinnacle of my design career, beware
that any 'furniture moving' at this stage may cause my brain to melt.