RE: Why do we still have p:parameters step ?

You are right, with p:identity you can do almost what you can with p:parameters. I say almost, because with p:parameters you can also do things like:

Including p:with-param is something that you cannot do with p:identity.

There is also a potential difference between p:identity and p:parameters that the output of p:identity is just a simple identity. If you pass a c:param-set document to it, you get a c:param-set on the output, and  if you pass a sequence of c:param documents, you get a sequence of c:param documents. Whether you get a c:param-set document or a sequence of c:param document (or a mixture of both) is implementation-dependent in this case:

With p:parameters, you are always guaranteed  to get a single c:param-set document which may be important if you want to query the parameters using XPath etc.

But I agree that for the simple situations, using p:identity is often much easier than p:parameters.

Vojtech

--

Vojtech Toman

Consultant Software Engineer