RE: Extensibility of c:result

The content-model of c:result is overloaded already in the XProc specification itself: see the p:exec step. For text output with wrap-result-lines=true, it produces the following result:

<c:result>

  <c:line>line1</c:line>

  <c:line>line2</c:line>

  …

</c:result>

But I don't think the content model of c:result is defined anywhere in the spec (and I am not sure it is a good idea to do that. IMHO, it is just a wrapper with no special meaning). Section 7 (Standard Step Library) says that: "…several steps use this element for result information:

<c:result>

    string

</c:result>

"

but I read this more as a hint of what to expect from a typical standard XProc step.

I remember raising this long time ago but I think the conclusion of the WG was that this not really an issue.

--

For EXProc, my opinion is that we can just fix the problem of distinguishing between a successful/unsuccessful c:result easily by saying that if you use fail-on-error=false, you get an c:error document, and not a c:result document. Or something like that.

Vojtech