Re: Extensibility questions

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> / "Innovimax SARL" <innovimax@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>
> | Sorry, I wasn't clear on my goal
>
>  No, I understood that goal. And I appreciate it!
>

>  | My goal was to find the hole in the spec where there is room for
>  | adding some additionnal feature to steps
>  | I was thinking there was a lot, but since all is interdependent at
>  | some point, there are few case where it still work
>  | Also I wanted to find out which was the error reported to the user if any
>
>  Right, but I can't see exactly what you're pressing on here:
>

>  |>  | Well, if I'm correct, it is said in the spec that
>  |>  | [[
>  |>  | It is a static error (err:XS0034) if the specified port is not a
>  |>  | parameter input port or if no port is specified and the step does not
>  |>  | have a primary parameter input port.
>  |>  | ]]
>  |>  | which means that we can bind a parameter port named "foo" since there
>  |>  | is no equivalent of the err:XS0012 for input parameters
>  |>  | [[
>  |>  | it is a static error (err:XS0012) if the port given does not match the
>  |>  | name of an input port specified in the step's declaration.
>  |>  | ]]
>
>  I was hoping you could construct an example of something that you
>  think (a) is an extensibility point we didn't intend and (b) is
>  allowed by the three errors above.

Well, I failed because we cannot declare the kind of an input binding,
which means that the hole is purely theoretic

But !

[[
When a p:input is used in any context where it provides only a binding
(e.g., on an atomic step), it is a static error (err:XS0012) if the
port given does not match the name of an input port specified in the
step's declaration.
]]
should use "input port" as ("input document port" or "input parameter port")

Mohamed