Re: XProc Editors Draft 2007-07-19: Section 3.2 Comments

Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> was heard to say:
> | I think this section needs to talk about the scope of pipeline type names in a
> | pipeline library: say that each pipeline in a pipeline library must have a
> | unique type, and talk about the scope of those pipeline names. A reference to
> | another section that talks about this in detail would be sufficient.
>
> Hmmm. I changed the first paragraph of 3.2 to read:
>
>   The scope of the names of step types is the pipeline. Each pipeline
>   processor has some number of built in step types and may declare
>   (directly, or by reference to an external library) additional step
>   types. All the step types in a pipeline must have unique names: it
>   is a static error (err:XS0036) if two declarations for the same step
>   type name appear in the same scope.
>
> I wonder if that helps.

Not really :) It focuses on the step types in a (single) pipeline rather
than the step types in a pipeline *library*. Perhaps we can say (not
necessarily in this section) that a pipeline document with a
with all <p:import>s and <p:declare-step>s (and so on) moved into the
library, and we can say:

   The scope of the names of step types is the pipeline library. Each
   pipeline processor has some number of built in step types and a
   pipeline library may declare (directly, or by reference to an external
   library) additional step types using <p:declare-step> or by defining
   pipelines. All the step types in a pipeline library must have unique
   names: it is a static error (err:XS0036) if two declarations for the
   same step type name appear in the same scope.

The rest of the changes seem fine.

Cheers,

Jeni
--