Re: Component interfaces

Erik Bruchez wrote:

> An XSLT stylesheet is an XML document like any other, and there are
> uses cases where you may want to dynamically produce an XSLT
> stylesheet from other pipeline steps. Our experience with XPL has been
> that considering that components take only XML documents as inputs and
> outputs, and not special-casing things like stylesheets or other
> parameters, simplifies the language a lot while making it more
> powerful.
>
> For reference, this is how executing an XSLT transformation can be
> done with XPL [1]:

I've thought a bit more about this issue. I agree with you, regarding
the XSLT processor. However, requiring infosets as inputs is a problem:
if you have an XQuery processor, your approach would require queries to
be written in XQueryX [1]; if you have a Relax NG schema, compact syntax
would not be allowed; a hypothetic SQL processor would require queries
to be wrapped into an XML envelope.

While all these issues can be handled with infosets, I'm sure that we'll
get a lot of pushback from the community. I believe it's another issue
we'll have to take into account when defining XProc's data model.

Cheers,

Rui

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xqueryx-20050915/