Re: Errors in 5.7.1 p:variable

In 5.7.1 p:variable we have three sentences which conflict 'The select
attribute must be specified.' assertion. I propose an errata be
generated with the 3 changes;

1. in 5.7.1 p:variable, 4th para, 1st sentence;

replace sentence

If a select expression is given, it is evaluated as an XPath
expression using the appropriate context as described in Section 2.6,
“XPaths in XProc”, for the enclosing container, with the addition of
bindings for all preceding-sibling p:variable and p:option elements.

with

A select expression is evaluated as an XPath expression using the
appropriate context as described in Section 2.6, “XPaths in XProc”,
for the enclosing container, with the addition of bindings for all
preceding-sibling p:variable and p:option elements.

2. in 5.7.1 p:variable, 6th para, 1st sentence

replace sentence

If a select expression is given, the readable ports available for
document connections are the readable ports in the environment
inherited by the first step in the surrounding container's contained
steps.

with

The readable ports available for document connections are the readable
ports in the environment inherited by the first step in the
surrounding container's contained steps.

3. in 5.7.1. p:variable, 7th para, 1st sentence

replace sentence

If a select expression is given but no document connection is
provided, the implicit connection is to the default readable port in
the environment inherited by the first step in the surrounding
container's contained steps. If there is no default readable port, the
connection is treated as if p:empty was specified.

with

If no document connection is provided, the implicit connection is to
the default readable port in the environment inherited by the first
step in the surrounding container's contained steps. If there is no
default readable port, the connection is treated as if p:empty was
specified.

Jim Fuller