Re: p:exec - path separators

Toman_Vojtech@emc.com writes:
> I have a question about p:exec. Section 7.2.1 says:
>
> "If the command or cwd options contain any '/' or '\' characters, they
> will be replaced with the platform-specific path separator character. If
> the fix-slashes option is true, this fixup will be applied to args as
> well."
>
> What if I get totally crazy and put the executable in a directory that
> has a backshlash in the name in a *nix like OS? Replacing of path
> separators may break things in that case.
>
> --
>
> Also, how does the 'fix-slashes' option work with this:

> Does this 'fix' the slashes in the escaped argument value?

At the 9 Apr 2009 telcon, the WG decided to pursue a quite different
approach to this problem. On the one hand, that's kind of risky in CR,
on the other, we've already convinced ourselves that we could *add a
new port* to the p:exec step in CR, so I don't see how this could be
described as more significant.

Instead of a boolean option, we're going to change the fix-slashes
option so that it is a single character. If specified, then any *and
all* occurrences of that character in both the command and the args
will be replaced by the platform-specific slash.

This means that processing of the command and args will no longer be
independent. But it also means you don't have nasty problems like the
one Vojtech identifies above.

The editor will post a concrete proposal as soon as possible.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Wink at small faults; for thou has