Re: http-request authentication missing realm?

Toman_Vojtech@emc.com writes:

>> (For basic authentication, the realm doesn't really matter.)
>
> I don't quite agree. I think you can use realms with Basic
> authentication:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_access_authentication

You sure can, but it's value doesn't play any role in authentication.
So if I send the username/password on my initial GET, and it matches a
username/password for the requested resource, I get immediate access:
no challenge required.

But because the realm value plays a role in computation of the digest,
I can't do that for digest auth. OTOH, I now think (but am not sure)
that you can't do digest auth w/o a challenge anyway.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Mistakes are a part of being human.