Re: Must vs. fatal error

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:33:25 +0100 (BST)
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: public-xml-id@w3.org

> > Does that help you?
>
> Not really, no. A library such as XOM should not talk to the user in any
> way. Specifically, it should not print anything on System.out or
> System.err. (This is a longstanding complaint I have about Xerces. XOM
> goes to some lengths to hide the warning Xerces prints.) XOM talks only
> to the client application, and it's up to the client application to
> decide what to show or not show the end-user. Indeed, in many cases
> there may not be any end user or even a console where messages printed
> on System.out and System.err can be seen.

In that case, I don't see how we can do much.  A system that can't
return non-fatal errors to the application and can't display them to
the user just has no way to signal non-fatal errors.  And I don't
think that this should result in standards only being able to require
errors to be reported if they are fatal.  So I think you will just
have to be non-conformant in this respect.

-- Richard