Re: Change namespace of xml:id

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:47:26 +0100
To: "John Boyer" <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>
Cc: <public-xml-id@w3.org>

* John Boyer wrote:
>Just in case it doesn't get noticed in the XML Signatures conversation,
>I'm recommending that you change xml:id to another namespace
>because adding it to the xml namespace does an end-run around
>the purpose of a namespace that happens, in this case, to break
>something.  Notably, canonicalization.

In http://www.w3.org/mid/16178.32403.534822.783054@lanalana.inria.fr
Bert Bos proposed "xmlid" which is indeed reasonable as all attribute
names starting with "xml" are reserved. The Working Group unfortunately
refused to formally address comments on the requirements document.
There were other important requests aswell, e.g., Gustaf Liljegren in
http://www.w3.org/mid/3.0.6.32.20030811231834.00b23128@pop.bredband.net
arguing for numeric id values which are popular xml:id values indeed,
http://www.nntp.perl.org/rss/perl.i18n.rdf uses them for example.