Re: [OT] [CSS21] xml namespace

On Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 5:54:34 PM, Norman wrote:

NW> / ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) was heard to say:
NW> | Ian Hickson writes:
NW> |
|>> It isn't the case in, for instance, CSS. There, the "xml" prefix would
|>> have to be explicitly defined before being used.
NW> |
NW> | That's a bug, in my opinion.  I would very much like to see a
NW> | built-in, exclusive in both directions, binding of 'xml' to
NW> | 'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace' written in to CSS 2.1.
NW> |
NW> | That would bring it in to line with XML Namespaces 1.1 in a useful way.

NW> +1.

+1 from me too. Henry, Norm, are your opinions widely held in the XML
community? I assume so but I would like to be sure.

Unfortunately CSS 2.1 is not namespace aware. I'm not sure why, as there
are multiple interoperable implementations of the hitherto somewhat
underdocumented syntax agreed by the CSS WG in, erm, mumble, 1998 or so.

A separate small draft is under development just to document this small
piece of additional syntax. I agree that this draft should be more
closely aligned with Namespaces 1.0 and 1.1 and that it makes sense
therefore to note the special status of the reserved xml namespace.

Of course, it could still be folded into CSS 2.1 if, for example, CSS
2.1 ever went back to Last Call - although I am not calling for that
just to add this feature.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead