Must vs. fatal error

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:46:17 -0500
To: public-xml-id@w3.org

While attempting to hook XOM up to the xml:id test suite, I've uncovered
a problem.

On the one hand, "An xml:id processor must assure that the following
constraints hold for all xml:id attributes...An xml:id error occurs for
any xml:id attribute that does not satisfy the constraints."

On the other hand, "Such errors are not fatal, but must be reported by
the xml:id processor to the application invoking it."

XOM can check all the constraints. However, it has no concept of a
non-fatal error or a warning. For XOM, errors are either fatal or
nonexistent. XOM can either report a fatal error on spotting a violation
of am xml:id MUST or it can do nothing.

Given this constraint, I'm not sure if it's possible for XOM to be
conformant to xml:id.