From: Pawson, David [mailto:David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 2:45
To: Paul Grosso; w3c-wai-pf@w3.org
Subject: RE: XML Core WG plans to take xml:id to Last Call

    The latest WG WD is currently at:
    http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2004/xmlcore/xmlid/xml-id.html

Question. Can I have attributes of type ID (xml 1.1) and
an attribute xml:id as defined?
xs:ID also mentioned.  What happens when a mix of these 'collide'
e.g. the values are not unique to the document?

In the above scenario, the mention (1. Introduction) of 'all
conformant processors' begs the question, conformant to which rec?

States 'This specification has been designed to be separate layer in
processing and to be compatible with existing validation technologies.'

Is the implication that DTD validation, XSD schema validation
and xml:id processing to be considered separately?

I'm concerned about a DTD based instance with an idref
to an element with xml:id attribute?

Clarification please:

'Many validation technologies impose the constraint that an XML element
can have at most one attribute of type ID. That constraint is not
imposed by xml:id processing.'

<element id="n1" xml:id="m1" another="p1"/>
 where id and another are of type ID can now be valid to a DTD?

'There are four classes of documents in which an xml:id attribute may
occur: well-formed, non-validated documents, wholly valid documents,
partially valid documents, and invalid documents.'

Are these four terms defined anywhere please Paul? They are
used but not defined in this document.

Appendix D is helpful, just wondering if there might
be any common sense advice on transitioning from DTD use
with id's to DTD's with xml:id, e.g the id idref pairs
mentioned above.

regards DaveP