Re: Fwd: error in section 2.1 'Basic Concepts' of Namespaces in XML 1.0

On 2014-09-22 07:37, Paul Grosso wrote:

> [...]

Checking the first edition of NS 1.0, I see that the term
"namespace name" is not ever really defined.

What appears to be its "definition" at
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#dt-NSName
is quite confusing and hardly a definition.  In some context,
here is the "definition" (*'ed content is bold--and therefore
presumably the term being defined--in the spec):

  [Definition:] A namespace is *declared* using a family of
  reserved attributes. Such an attribute's name must either
  be xmlns or have xmlns: as a prefix. These attributes, like
  any other XML attributes, may be provided directly or by default.

[Definition:] The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the
  *namespace name* identifying the namespace.

No where in the 1.0 spec does it say what it means for an
(element or otherwise) name to have a namespace name.

So one could argue that, to say "the namespace name has no
value"--while it does not say that there is with certainty no
namespace membership information associated with the name--is
is tantamount to saying that there is no xmlns-type attribute's
value associated with the (element) name, which is true.

paul