Re: DRAFT comment on 3023-bis

Paul Grosso writes:

> 1. In Section 3, the sentence beginning "Thus, although all XML
> processors" says "(except for HTTP)", but should say "(except for HTTP,
> HTTPS, and other protocols if base64 transport encoding is in use)".
> This is spelled out later in the document.

Overtaken: the enclosing list has been deleted

> 2. In Section 3, "Furthermore, such media types may allow UTF-8 or UTF-16
> only and prohibit other charsets" has a misplaced "only" which makes
> it unclear; it should read "Furthermore, such media types may forbid
> charsets other than UTF-8 (or other than UTF-8 or UTF-16)".

Changed (silently) to "may allow only UTF-8 and/or UTF-16 and prohibit..."

> 3. In Section 3.6 there is another problematic "only" and a bad comma: for
> "The charset parameter MUST only be used, when the charset is reliably
> known and agrees with the in-band XML encoding declaration" read "The
> charset parameter MUST NOT be used if the charset is not reliably known.
> If it is used, it MUST agree with the XML encoding declaration."

Overtaken, in part, and in part we disagree.  The para. in question
now reads:

  The charset parameter MUST NOT be used unless the charset is
  reliably known.  This information will be used by all processors to
  determine authoritatively the charset of the XML MIME entity in the
  absence of a BOM.

> 4. In Section 4, the sentence "Similarly, when converting from another
> encoding into "utf-16", the BOM MUST be added after conversion is
> complete" is incorrect; it should read, "Similarly, when converting
> from another encoding into "utf-16", either an appropriate encoding
> declaration MUST be added or modified, or a BOM MUST be added."

I wrote it that way because 4.3.3 in the XML spec [1] says

   "Entities encoded in UTF-16 *must* . . .begin with the Byte Order Mark"

So I don't think a change is appropriate.
I have added the four comments and my dispositions to the Disposition
of Comments -- the changes won't be visible until the next version.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charencoding
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/2012/10/3023bis/02-comments.html
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk