Re: Other possible issues with the Polyglot draft

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com> writes:

>> ht writes:
>>
>> > 3) 'void' elements [3] -- the name is non-standard, and the
>> >    requirement:
>> >
>> >   "Polyglot markup uses the minimized tag syntax for void elements,
>>
>> Well, necessary, but overly restrictive.  "<br></br>" will not work as
>> HTML, so it has to be avoided, but not mentioning "<br />" is a
>> mistake -- it should be explicitly offered, don't you think?
>
> As long as tag-name-trailing white space is always ignored within
> a start tag as should be the case, then I don't see why <br />
> should be explicitly offered.
>
> So the key question is whether such white space is allowable
> and properly ignored.  If so, then I'd think mentioning <br/>
> is tantamount to allowing <br /> and even <br
> />.

I've checked the spec. [1] and (any number of) tab, LF, FF and space
are allowed between the tag name and the /.  I'm still inclined
towards mentioning <br />, because it was recommended for this purpose
historically.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/tokenization.html#before-attribute-name-state
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk