RE: FW: Last Call for XML Signature 2.0, Canonical XML 2.0 and XML Signature Streaming Profile of XPath 1.0

Pratik,

Thank you for your response.

The XML Core WG has a telcon scheduled for tomorrow, and the WG may
discuss your resolutions at that time.  Unfortunately, I will have
to miss that telcon and will be offline for the next two weeks, so
I hope you (and the XML Core WG) will excuse my individual response
at this time.

My only issue with the latest draft relates to Jirka's original comment
on "11.3 Namespace Context and Portable Signatures" which is now at
"B.8 Namespace Context and Portable Signature".  The latest phrase reads:

 In addition, the Canonical XML and Canonical XML with Comments algorithms
 import all XML namespace attributes (such as xml:lang) from the nearest
 ancestor in which they are declared....

I would still object to the phrase "XML namespace attributes".  You say:

 By "XML namespace attributes" we mean attributes that are in the "xml"
 namespace . e.g "xml:lang", "xml:space", "xml:id", "xml:base" etc.

But that remains misleading.  The phrase "XML namespace attributes"
does not mean attributes in the xml namespace to most people.  Most
readers would, like Jirka and myself, assume "XML namespace attributes"
referred to attribute-like constructs that declared XML namespaces.

It would be better to avoid the phrase "XML namespace attributes"
and be clear about what attributes are "imported".  You might say
"all attributes in the XML namespace (such as xml:lang)", though
I wonder if you really want to "import" xml:id which would seem
like the wrong thing to do, so I'm not really sure what you want
to say here.

But the current wording is problematic.  As such, I would recommend
that the XML Core WG not accept your current resolution of this issue.