Re: PIs with target "XML" etc.

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 17:43 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> The XML conformance tests assume that a PI with <?XML ...?> (or Xml,
> XmL, etc.)  is not well-formed.  However, 2.6 only says "reserved for
> standardization", the same language used for elements and attributes
> beginning with the three letters.  So our rec and our tests don't agree.

I think the Rec should probably win here.

I don't see a need to make existing (admittedly erroneous) documents
fail.  I don't think this case is any worse than having a space before
<?xml..., although I see libxml makes that a fatal error rather than
treating it as a "reserved" processing instruction.

I could live with an error for <?XML, too, though.

Liam