Re: FW: Taking Associating Stylesheets Second Edition to PER [was: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2010 June 30]

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:08:07 +0200, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 19:41 +0200, Simon Pieters wrote:
> [...]
>> > I met with Tim this morning; he'd like
>> >
>> > Add to the document, e.g. in the Applications para
>> > At the time of edition 1 (1999) the meaning of these p-attributes was
>> > not well specified,
>>
>> Appendix B already states:
>>
>> "The first edition of this specification was admirably brief, but at the
>> same time left many details unstated."
>
> Maybe it needs to be up higher :(

I'm fine with that.

>> > and at the time of edition 2 (2010) there is low
>> > interoperability in the values between implementations;
>>
>> How do we assess that there is low interoperability in the values
>> between
>> implementations?
> [...]
>
> I don't have a way to assess interop because the spec is too vague.

I don't buy that. :-) You don't need a spec at all to assess interop, you
just need test cases. The test cases I'm aware of are:

http://simon.html5.org/test/xml/xml-stylesheet/
http://hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/xml/styling/pi/internal/
http://annevankesteren.nl/test/xml/pi/i/

I don't like putting a statement in the spec saying that there's low
interop, especially when it's not backed up by evidence. But if putting it
there means that we can publish, then sure.

> There were claims made in our PER director's call that different
> implementations do different things with a missing "media"
> pseudo-attribute, although I'm not entirely sure that really means
> low interop, because e.g. a Web browser isn't going to do anything
> useful with a link to a FOSI stylesheet.

As far as I'm aware, all implementations attempt to apply the style sheet
if the "media" pseudo-attribute is missing. Is there some implementation
that does something different?

>> > We need also to contact browser vendors and see if they are willing
>> > to sit round a table & get conformance/semantics pinned down in a
>> > future edition.
>>
>> Hmm. I work for a browser vendor. I joined this group in the hope to get
>> conformance/semantics pinned down. But the WG consensus was to not have
>> any conformance requirements at all.
>
> Right (well, I wasn't on the WG at that time but watched from outside..)
>
> I think Tim is agreeing with you, but also accepting the WG position
> that this is an edited rec, not a whole new version.

Ok.

Cheers,
--
Simon Pieters