Re: XML namespaces on the Web

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:27:07 -0500
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Simon Pieters scripsit:

> Indeed, but it would be relatively easy to make the XML5 algorithm report
> an error for anything that is an error in XML 1.0.

I don't think it would be so easy, unless by reverse engineering some
existing XML parser, which XML5 as written does not do.

> The DOM doesn't require a root element. For XML APIs that do require a
> root element, you could use the XML 1.0 behavior for this case and report
> a fatal error.

So much for the idea of all octet-sequences being convertible to XML.

> XML5 doesn't ignore the internal subset.

If that's so, it's not expressed in the algorithm as published.  I can't judge
algorithms that aren't written down anywhere.

--
Only do what only you can do.               John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
  --Edsger W. Dijkstra's advice