Re: XHTML character entity support

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:01:41 -0500
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, public-html@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Boris Zbarsky scripsit:

> I don't know what you mean by "legal", but every possible sequence of
> bytes has a fixed interpretation as an HTML5 document...

Well, when I look at 9.1 of the 27 October 2009 draft, I see "Documents
must consist of the following parts", and in 9.1.1 "A DOCTYPE is a mostly
useless, but required, header".  What is the effect of violating these
mandatory constraints?

> > Most programmers *want* draconian error handling of their code.
>
> Most people writing HTML aren't programmers and don't particularly want
> to be.

Sure, which is why it's sensible to have a tag-soup standard for HTML
at this point.  XML is another ball of wax.

--
No,  John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan