RE: Liaison statement to W3C from SC 34/WG 1 [response from W3C's XML Core WG]

Hi Jirka,

Thanks for your response.

I agree that we should be able to work things out informally in the
near future.

> > In general, we are receptive to your request, but at this
> > time we do not have a lot of details, so we are eager to
> > exchange ideas so that we can work together to ensure the
> > best result.  If we are going to allow the use of the
> > xml-model name, we would want an xml-model PI to be
> > generic enough to be used by any application to associate
> > any kind of schema with an XML document.  The XML Core WG
> > would like to be able to review drafts of the xml-model spec
> > throughout its development.
>
> This should not be problem as drafts are publicly available.
> What is the
> most convenient way for you to be informed about such drafts? Should I
> send announcement to public-xml-core-wg@w3.org each time new draft is
> published?

Yes, please.

> Also do you think you will be able to make decision and reserve
> xml-model name for us after you will see the initial draft? I
> understand
> that you want to track xml-model spec through its whole
> development. But
> personally I would like to see name reserved as soon as possible in
> order to create stable environment for implementers in early stages of
> standard development. It would be quite painful if we would have to
> change name of xml-model processing instruction very late in the
> standardization process. I hope that the first draft will be
> good enough
> for making your decision and that it will clearly show the
> direction and
> intent of this new Part 11. I suspect that later during standard
> development only minor issues and merely details will be dealt with.

The XML Core WG is generally willing to allow the use of xml-model
assuming--as I believe should be the case--that we can agree on
certain of our concerns.  It sounds to me like we are close to
agreement, with the possible issue of accessibility of the spec
(see below).

> > We assume that the general syntax and semantics for most
> > of the pseudo-attributes for the xml-model processing
> > instruction will parallel that as defined in the Associating
> > Stylesheet (AssocSS) spec that defines the xml-stylesheet
> > processing instruction.
>
> Yes, this was intent from the start.
>
> > You should know that we are in the
> > process of developing a new edition of the AssocSS spec, so
> > you should be sure to coordinate your specification with our
> > latest version.  (The additions are mostly clarifications
> > on error or other edge conditions.)
>
> Thanks for information, I will make sure to synchronize with the new
> edition once it is available.

And I will let you know as soon as we have a draft.

> > We assume you will be writing a specification for xml-model
> > that will be referenceable by everyone on the Web free of charge
> > so that anyone wishing to support the xml-model PI for any
> > reason--not just for DSDL--will have an official reference for
> > it.  If this is not practical for you, then we would want to be
> > able to republish the xml-model PI spec as a W3C publication
> > (e.g., a WG Note or a W3C Recommendation).
>
> Well, yes ISO has traditionally quite different model for
> publication of
> standards/specifications then W3C, but fortunately things
> have improved
> in the past. The Part 11 will be "Freely Available Standard"
> which will be available from
>
> http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html
>
> Is such form of publication sufficient from W3C point of
> view, or would you require republication on W3C site?

First, there would need to be a reasonable URL--which generally
seems to be the case for these standards--but then we'd also
want an XML (with stylesheet) and/or HTML version available.

A URL to a zip of a PDF is sub-optimal and may not be acceptable
for the W3C.  We are used to having a URL that points to an HTML
document with many sub-document level anchor points so that one
can point to details of a spec, such as being able to refer to
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/#NT-PseudoAtt

If ISO isn't planning to make such available, I would want the
W3C to be able to host an HTML copy--perhaps as a W3C Note or
something--to make such accessible.

Perhaps you can investigate the possibilities on your end, and
then we can discuss our options in this regard.

paul