[MURATA Makoto] Re: ISO and XML 1.0 5th edition

[Forwarded with Murata-san's permission, a message he sent in reply to
my asking him about ISO issues and his position wrt XML 1.0 5e]

Forwarded message 1

  • From: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:53:41 +0900
  • Subject: Re: ISO and XML 1.0 5th edition
  • To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
  • Cc: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
First, I do want to use name characters (KATAKANA MIDDLE DOT
in particular) provided by the 5th edition.

Second, in my understanding, XML Namespaces 1.0 and xsd:NCName of
W3C XML  Schema Part 2 do not allow name characters of the 5th edition.  W3C
can probably sell the 5th edition more if W3C show which spec of W3C
allows all name characters of the 5th edition.

Third, DSDL and OOXML of SC34 have to provide a consistent stroy
about name characters and XML editions.  SC34 uses XPath1, XPath 2,
XSLT1, XSLT2, XSD, and RELAX NG.  In our understanding, the only
consistent story is to stick to the 4th edition.

Fourth, you might want to have a look at a blog article of the convenor
of WG1, namely Alex Brown.

http://www.adjb.net/post/SC-34-Meetings-Prague-Day-1.aspx

If this issue is to be revisited, the next chance is the Seattle meeting
in September.

In my understanding, Michael was the liaison from W3C to SC34.  W3C
might want to appoint somebody, since Michael is no longer with W3C.

BTW, Resolution 5 in the SC34 plenary is also releveant to W3C.

http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/1188.htm

Cheers,
Makoto
                         Half-time member of W3C Team