Re: problem with XML W3C Conformance Test Suite 20080205

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 03:16:48PM +0100, Richard Tobin wrote:

> > <bar a:attr="1" a:attr="2"/>
>
> >  Seems to me there is a typo here. This is an XML-1.0 base well-formedness
> > error because it has the same attribute used twice on the element.
>
> Yes, but it's also a namespaces error, because
>
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#uniqAttrs
>
> says:
>
>   In XML documents conforming to this specification, no tag may
>   contain two attributes which:
>   1. have identical names, or
>   2. have qualified names with the same local part and with prefixes which
>      have been bound to namespace names that are identical.
>
> So this test in principle duplicates one of the plain XML tests, but
> that doesn't matter (and it may in fact be different in that the
> attribute has a prefix).

  To me a plain well-formedness error clearly take precedence over a
namespace error since document which doesn't conform to REC-xml-names can
still be usable data, while a not well-formed one must break.
  I still think the error is miscategorized, and will supress it from
my regression runs. And I really don't think XML parsers should report
a namespace error there but the XML-1.0 wellformedness error which is
far more critical and general.

Daniel