RE: XML 1.0 and XML 1.1

Hi Paul,

One person's enhancement request is another persons bug report.
Clearly external entities were created to allow XML content to be
decomposed into external components that could be included by reference.
My report showed that this intent is hobbled by the inability of external
components to declare the existence of external components.  The inclusion
mechanism works to arbitrary depth, so why doesn't the corresponding
declaration mechanism?  Since the purpose of external entities is to
provide decomposition of XML content, and the external entity itself is
*defined* in terms of XML content, this is a language bug.  My report also
showed how to fix the language bug.

I agree that fixing it in XML 1.0 appears... daunting.  I could understand
a response which says the W3C doesn't intend to do further versions of
XML, nor does it intend to continue refining XML 1.0.  But the form of
that response just got more interesting now that you have proposed
backporting international characters into NameChar.  That's an enhancement
request, which you said you weren't entertaining.  But if the working
group has changed it's mind about enhancements/bug fixes, then perhaps
this other fix could be considered while you're in the neighborhood.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
10/30/2007 10:25 AM

"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
Subject
RE: XML 1.0 and XML 1.1

We didn't miss it exactly.  I saw it--it's at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2007OctDec/0000
but we haven't been dealing with XML errata lately.

Besides, this is more of an enhancement request than
an erratum, and we aren't really entertaining
enhancement requests for XML at this time, so I'm
not sure how we'd deal with something like this.

But we can discuss this within the WG.