Re: DRAFT #1: Transition Request: CR Request for C14N 1.1 (Appendix)

Hi Thomas, Paul and Frederick

I actually found some time this weekend to make preparations for C14n1.1
interoperability test and created two test implementations (taking
different approaches) for the modified remove_dot_segments function and
identified several problems. (If someone is interested in detail one can
try the test cases in the attached HTML file).

However I think I was successful in addressing all of them and thus
updated Appendix A in a manner that would deal with the issues.

As I do not have a detailed enough knowledge about the processes in W3C
and I'm unsure weather it's a good time to bring this up now.
I'd like to ask how to proceed on this or if I shall rather wait until
the actual testing starts?

Nevertheless I just wanted to let you know ASAP.

Also please find a reworded version of the c14n11 Appendix including
several test cases in the attachment.

Further in the concourse of these initial tests I also found a potential
ambiguity in the merge_path function in rfc3986
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-5.2.3

Which says: " i.e., excluding any characters after the right-most "/" in
the base URI path"

However I don't think this applies if a base URI has two trailing dots
(assuming the optional normalization mentioned in the second paragraph
of http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-5.2.1 was not performed).

So I'm unsure what would happen to an inherited xml:base URI reference
of the form "../.." to be joined with a URI reference of the form "..".
For the least surprising output I would bet on "../../../" as an output
and I think this would also deserve a mention in section 2.4 of C14n 1.1 .

Again I'm also unsure if the timing is good to bring this up ...

I'm looking forward to your responses ...

regards
Konrad

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm