Re: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2007 December 5

Grosso, Paul a écrit :
>> 6. XML 1.0/1.1 4th/2nd Editions published 2006 August 16:

>> Changes to XML 1.0 5th Edition and XML 1.1 3rd Edition:
>>
>> Section 4.2.2 currently has a paragraph reading:
>>
>>  System identifiers ... may contain characters that...must
>>  be escaped before a URI can be used to retrieve the
>>  referenced resource.
>>
>> We decided to replace this (2nd para of 4.2.2) and the
>> following 3 points by:
>>
>>  System identifiers (and other XML strings meant to be used
>>  as URI references) are LEIRIs [ref].  Failure to match the
>>  applicable syntax productions of [LEIRI] is not an error.
>>  Note, however, system identifiers which do not conform to
>>  LEIRIs are not in practice likely to be useful.
>
> ACTION to Francois:  Generate a PE for making the LEIRI change
> to both 1.0 and 1.1.

Done, this is PE161.

> We will include a statement in XML 1.0 5th Ed warning of this
> upcoming LEIRI PE change.
>
> ACTION to Francois:  Close PE 139 as being superceded by the
> new LEIRI PE.

Done.

> ACTION to Francois:  Generate XML 1.1 3rd Edition with approved
> errata (and warning about upcoming PE about LEIRIs).

Done, see
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2007/12/PER-xml11-20071212-review.html.
Please check the new note in 4.2.2.

> ACTION to Francois:  Generate a PE against 1.1 about allowable
> values of the XML decl's version attribute.

Done, this is PE162.  Please check if I did the right thing, I'm not
sure I remembered correctly.

> ACTION to Francois:  For PE 154, see if you can come up with
> something to address the "links in printed copy" issue and
> make a suggestion (which might be to do nothing).

It turned out to be quite complicated, proposed resolution is now to do
nothing.

> ACTION to Francois:  For PE 155, generate a proposed resolution
> using Dieter's suggested rewording.

Done, please check.

>> 8. XML 1.0 5th Edition

> ACTION to Francois:  Generate XML 1.0 5th Edition with namechar
> and XML version changes and approved errata (and warning about
> upcoming PE about LEIRIs).

I created PE160 detailing the major changes we want: naming rules and
version number.  Note that I ended up deleting the whole Appendix B and
adding a new Appendix J "Suggestions for XML Names", following the lead
of XML 1.1.  This Appendix is in fact exactly the same as XML 1.1
Appendix I, except that

     "...derived from [XML-1.0] Appendix B."
becomes
     "...derived from Appendix B in previous editions of this
specification."

Draft 5th Edition is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2007/12/PER-xml-20071212-review.html

The status of this draft and that for 1.1 3rd Ed. are as follows:

- All published errata integrated.

- Outstanding PEs also integrated.  I will back out/modify as required
if these PEs are finally not resolved as currently proposed.

- I still need to validate everything and check pubrules.

- I took a first stab at the Status sections, taking inspiration from
the previous PERs and RECs.  Noteworthy:

    - Last time around we offered implementation reports.  Perhaps our
plans will be different this time, at least for 1.0 where we want to
have CR-like exit criteria?  What about 1.1?

    - I took the Patent Policy language from the 2006 Recs.  There is a
difference between 1.0 and 1.1: the latter has this sentence "This
document is governed by the 24 January 2002 CPP as amended by the W3C
Patent Policy Transition Procedure.", which 1.0 doesn't have.  Is that
kosher?  PP experts, please!

--
François