Re: Joining two relative URIs (public-ietf-w3c-draft)

Hi Konrad,

Some small corrections for (hopefully) improving the clarity of your
draft.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 06:58:28PM +0200, Konrad Lanz wrote:

> If b's xml:base was an absolute URI one would absolutize using the
> algorithm in 5.2 in RFC 2396 [8]. However the example above requires the
> joining of two relative URIs which we believe is not defined in RFC 2396
> [8]. It may nevertheless be defined in RFC 3986 [9] in section "5.2.
> Relative Resolution" by applying applying the algorithm in 5.2 ignoring
> the note "that only the scheme component is required to be present in a
> base URI".

I'd rewrite this as follows (making two paragraphs as it was combining two
different things):

<quote>
If b's xml:base was an absolute URI,  one would make c's xml:base an
absolute URI using the algorithm in 5.2 in RFC 2396 [8].

Note that the above example above requires the joining of two relative URIs
which we believe is not defined in RFC 2396 [8]. It may nevertheless be
defined in RFC 3986 [9] in section "5.2.  Relative Resolution" by applying
the algorithm in 5.2, while  ignoring the constraint in section 5.2.1 of
the same RFC that "that only the scheme component is required to be present
in a base URI".
</quote>

Another change:

<quote>
The group is discussing the adoption of the resolution above as an alternative to
adapting section 5.2 step 6 [10] of RFC 2396 [8] (currently referenced in
xml base [11] and C14n [3]). Another alternative could be to not apply
inheritance rules [11] at all when nodes in a document become an orphan.
</quote>

-jose