Re: FW: Transition request: First Public Working Draft for "The Disposition of Names in an XML Namespace"

This made me take a new look at the XML namespace document, located at
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.  It turns out to need a little
brushing up:

--------------------
Section "Namespace policy"

This should be "Namespace *change* policy", as this is what it specifies
(correctly as per the draft finding: "Specifications ... SHOULD
explicitly state their policy with respect to changes in the names...").

--------------------
Section "Related Resources"

Herein this sentence:
   "The value of the xml:lang attribute must be as specified by RFC 1766
or its successors, or be empty."

RFC 1766 has been obsoleted a long time ago, and the XML spec has
pointed to RFC 3066 since (I think) 2nd edition.  RFC 3066 has now been
obsoleted, but unfortunately its successor does not yet have an RFC
number and we can't practically point to it at this time. The best
option is probably to point to IETF PCP 47 at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt, which currently returns RFC
3066 but will return RFC3066bis as soon as publihsed.

--------------------
Section "Language Codes for use in xml:lang"

I don't quite understand why we try to partially (and wrongly, since
RFC3066bis) describe language tags here, instead of relying on the
authoritative reference.  Furthermore, some of the info is stale,
notably the IANA registry.  The new RFC3066bis registry is now online
and contains all the required alpha-2 and alpha-3 language subtags as
well as the alpha-2 country subtags.  I would propose to remove that
entire section and simply add a reference to the registry
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry) to the BCP 47
entry in Related Resources.

--
François