Re: [richard@inf.ed.ac.uk: xml:base, yet again]

Richard Tobin wrote:
> Hi Elliotte,
>
> What was your rationale for treating xml:base="" as meaning that
> the base URI should be that of the containing document?

I thought this through quite a lot at the time. I'm not sure I can
easily reproduce my thought process now, though you might find something
in the archives of xom-interest, and the various xinclude and xml base
lists. I suspect this section from RFC 3986 is relevant:

4.4.  Same-Document Reference

    When a URI reference refers to a URI that is, aside from its fragment
    component (if any), identical to the base URI (Section 5.1), that
    reference is called a "same-document" reference.  The most frequent
    examples of same-document references are relative references that are
    empty or include only the number sign ("#") separator followed by a
    fragment identifier.

    When a same-document reference is dereferenced for a retrieval
    action, the target of that reference is defined to be within the same
    entity (representation, document, or message) as the reference;
    therefore, a dereference should not result in a new retrieval action.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!