Re: XLink charmod conformance [was: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2006 February 15]

Phew, this is one muddled issue.  Two or three issues actually:

1) Björn wants XLink 1.1 to require conformance to Charmod, as required
by Charmod sectin 2 (W3C should eat its own dog food). Norm argued that
"XLink predates the publication of Charmod and it's not clear to me that
adding a normative statement about conformance to Charmod is within our
charter."  But we're doing a 1.1 here, not merely a new edition of 1.0.
    I think a statement or two could be added to XLink 1.1 to effect this.

2) Björn claims that XLink 1.1's adoption of IRIs makes it unconforming
with C014 of Charmod, which requires use of the Reference Character
Model.  This Model requires that "Specifications MUST define text in
terms of Unicode characters, not bytes or glyphs." and that processing
be defined in terms of those Unicode characters.  XLink meets that.

3) Björn says "To address this [C014 non-conformance] XLink 1.1
implementations must either always NFC-normalize IRIs when dereferencing
a link and this requires IRI to URI conversion, or never.".  The
Reference Processing Model is silent about Unicode normalization, which
was once addressed in Charmod but was farmed out to a separate spec
which is not yet a Rec.  I fail to see how the Reference Processing
Model can require normalization and haven't found anything from Björn
that explains it.

4) At one point Björn points to another thread, part of the
IRIEverywhere-27 issue on the TAG list.  This (part of the) issue does
discuss normalization (but not Charmod conformance).  Björn seems to
argue that IRIs should be NFC-normalized pursuant to step 1a in RFC
3987, which applies "If the IRI is written on paper, read aloud, or
otherwise represented as a sequence of characters independent of any
character encoding,".  However the dominant thinking is that step 1c
applies: "If the IRI is in a Unicode-based character encoding", which
calls for no normalization.  It could be argued that 3987 is somewhat
poorly written there, and does not distinguish clearly enough between
characters as perceived by humans ("written on paper, read aloud"), and
characters that have already been expressed in terms of the Unicode
standard, which is certainly the case for character as seen by XLink.

Bottom line, I think we should satisfy the commenter by requiring
conformance to Charmod (which involves saying that XLink implementations
and XLink-conforming content must conform), but that his case about C014
and normalization of IRIs doesn't hold water.  At least that's the best
I could make out from following the threads, nowhere did I find an
explicit explanation of why lack of normalization would violate C014.

--
François