RE: [2.1] restricting redefinition of DTD internal subset

Matt,

Today was the first time since Nov 11 that the XML Core WG
had a telcon (the telcon of the 16th was cancelled due to
the XML Conference that week).

Regarding:

> "Since the DTD for a document consists of both the external
> and internal subset, a conforming document must not include
> an internal subset when referencing the VoiceXML 2.1 DTD."

the XML Core WG has no objections* to the VoiceXML spec forbidding
use of the internal subset provided it is not suggested in any way
that a document with an internal subset is not well-formed XML.
That is, it must be made clear that a document with an internal
subset does not conform to the VoiceXML spec (even though such
does conform to the XML spec).

Therefore, you should probably replace in the above text
"a conforming document" with something like "a document
conforming to the VoiceXML Recommendation".

paul

* Actually, several of us on the XML Core WG do object to
applications forbidding the internal subset since that is
subsetting XML (support for the internal subset being a
required part of XML) which we would prefer not to do.
However, since we've already lost this battle with SOAP,
none of us is willing to make an official objection.