RE: can an app use an XML Catalog to resolve an xinclude href value?

What I don't understand is why an application would
load a catalog that shouldn't be used.

You make it sound like you are always loading a catalog.
If so, why?  You should only even consider using a catalog
if the user has pointed to a catalog.  An XML processor should
not go looking for catalogs unless the user has told it to
do so.  And if the user has told you to use a catalog, I
wouldn't be surprised if the user got upset when you then
ignore it for some cases.

I'm probably misunderstanding something here.