Ian Hickson on xml:id--ID assignment and the empty string

At
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2005Jan/0024
(and see responses in the thread), Ian objected to our decision
to say that an empty xml:id value is treated like any other
invalid id value, but still makes xml:id an id.

We will need to be able to justify our decision at this
Friday's CR telcon.

Please make any comments you may have in response to this
email before the Wed telcon if possible.