XLink PER [was: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2004 November 17]

> Sent: Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 11:01
> To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
> Subject: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2004 November 17

> > 3.  XLink erratum/update.
> >
> > Norm has suggested a possible update to XLink at
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2004Nov/0033
> > where we say that an element that has an xlink:href but
> > does not have an xlink:type should be treated as if it
> > had a "simple" link type.
>
> Several of us have expressed support for this idea,
> and no one objects.
>
> We believe we could make this change via the PER route.

> ACTION to Paul:  Raise this issue with the XML CG.

I did, and one of the chairs replied:

 If you go forward with the PER [1] then you will have to
 show implementation experience for the proposed change:

 "Entrance criteria: The Director calls for review when
  satisfied that, with respect to changes to the document,
  the Working Group has fulfilled the same entrance criteria
  as for a Call for Review of a Proposed Recommendation
  (e.g., the Working Group can show implementation experience
  that supports the changes)."

 Is such evidence readily available?

 [1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#cfr-edited

Do we have any existing evidence and/or any WG members who
plan to produce such evidence, say, by the beginning of 2005?

I note that, lacking an actual CR request, we have no specific
exit criteria, but it seems two implementations should suffice.