[public-xml-core-wg] <none>

 From: Richard Tobin <richard>
Subject: Re: New xml:id draft, same old URI
To: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

> I'll have to look at Unicode 2.0, but I think you misread it.  U+02BC
> has *always* been a letter.

Unicode 2.0 says (copied from book):

02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE
     = apostrophe
     . glottal stop, glottalization, ejective;
     elision
     . spacing clone of Greek Smooth breathing mark
     . this is the preferred character for apostrophe
     [...]

> U+2019 is both apostrophe and closing single quotation mark (of the
> "high-9" variety; not all languages use this as a closing mark); the two
> are not typographically distinct.

But they are semantically distinct, and Unicode represents characters
("smallest components of written language that have semantic value"),
not glyphs.  I remain surprised that they have been confounded in more
recent versions of Unicode.

-- Richard