Re: Problem with xml:space in the Schema document for the XML namespace

Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> writes:

> Dear XML Core Working Group,
>
> I'm contacting you on behalf of the HTML Working Group.  If I understand
> correctly, you are now in charge of the Schema document for the XML
> namespace at http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd [1].
>
> This Schema provides a default value of "preserve" for the xml:space
> attribute
> . . .
> We believe such an implementation of the XML Schema prohibits an XML
> application, such as XHTML (using XML Schemas and including the xml.xsd
> for XML attributes), from defining a fixed value for xml:space to be
> "preserve", as XML Schema does not allow an attribute to have both
> a default value and a fixed value.

Sorry for the confusion, and the Core WG will indeed reconsider this
declaration.  However it is not the case that you cannot specify a
fixed value for this attribute as it stands.  The following is a valid
schema document corresponding to a valid schema:

 <xs:schema>

  <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
             schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/03/xml.xsd"/>

  <xs:complexType name="spaceTest" mixed="true">
   <xs:attribute ref="xml:space" fixed="default"/>
  </xs:complexType>

 </xs:schema>

Please let me know if this addresses your immediate difficulty.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk