Re: [XML-Binary] ZIP file format using XPATH for directory entries proposal

As an aside, you should have been considering Linux+ReiserFS rather than
Solaris+UFS.

ReiserFS has been the best filesystem for a number of purposes since
about 1999 or 2000, especially including handling very many files,
especially very many small files.  Not only can you put 100,000 files in
a directory with no problems, but the overhead of small files is about
under 64 bytes on average.  (I believe the overhead was 17 bytes plus
the length of the filename.)  The filesystem, in its default mode,
combines 'tails' just like a database would.  In fact, it's use of
btrees and hashes along with journaling pretty make it a
database/filesystem.

In 2000 I benchmarked a 400Mhz system with a single 10,000 RPM drive
which was able to create/write, read, or delete, small (64, 128, 256,
1024, 2048, etc.) files at about 1100 per second.  For this test, I was
operating on 1 million files in 10 directories of 100,000 each.

Hans Reiser, Stephen Tweedie (Ext2/ext3 author), and I debated the need
for better mulithreaded models for ReiserFS at one of the first
LinuxWorlds.  It will be interesting to see how Soliaris's new
filesystem compares.

Still (back on the subject), in general it's bad to create that many
files unless you have a good reason.  It can't be required in the
processing of a generalized data format.

sdw

swilliams@hpti.com http://www.hpti.com Per: sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st