Re: Non-XML binary formats.

The standards I mentioned below were those I found referenced in the
ASN.1 related standards.  I didn't state or believe that anything was
necessary, only that those standards are referenced by the ASN.1
standards.  Relevent sections state that the details of encoding are
given in those other standards which leads me to believe that there are
needed details that are not in the ASN.1 standards.  If the ASN.1
standards are self-contained as a set, then they shouldn't say something
like "and encoded according to ISO 6093" (X.690-0207 8.5.7).  I don't
actually expect that every such instance would be imported, but it is a
problem if the standards needed are costly.  IEEE float/double format
standards documentation is also likely to be an expensive document, but
it is widely documented:
http://stevehollasch.com/cgindex/coding/ieeefloat.html

I didn't mean to suggest that ASN.1 can't transport binary data.  The
point was that ASN.1 does directly support certain data types in certain
encodings but that one stated current need is to transport native real
formats.  Those who want this don't want to rely only on private
convention for reals, they want integral support from standards and
libraries, just like ASN.1 software provides for its 'native'
encodings.  If it is appropriate to encode scalars in binary, as ASN.1
does, it could be argued that for efficiency reasons that native formats
should be supported.  If the argument is that native formats are too
hard to support in all architectures and implementations or something
and efficiency isn't important, then why not just use XML 1.x text encoding?

I would far rather use a text encoding than a binary encoding.  I'm only
interested in a binary XML solution to get much more efficiency in all
of its forms, including support for new semantics that allow many types
of application efficiency.  To reiterate, the structural efficiency is a
separate problem from the data typing and representation efficiency
although both are implemented in the same libraries.

Fast Infoset is indeed a good direction.  I believe it is missing
support for certain properties that I find very useful, but it is a
better solution than past patterns.

sdw