Re: Non-XML binary formats.

> I'd be interested if anyone is working on, or knows of binary formats
> with similar characteristics of binary XML but is not based on XML?

One such format is ASN.1.  This is a schema language much like XML schema
(XSD).  Associated with it are encoding rules that define a number of
different binary interchange formats.  These are standardized encodings that
have been around for nearly 20 years.  They are used extensiviely in
telecommunications and other industries.  For more information see:

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

Regards,

Ed Day
Objective Systems, Inc.