From: mike.beckerle@ascentialsoftware.com
[mailto:mike.beckerle@ascentialsoftware.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 5:31 PM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler); aslom@cs.indiana.edu; sdw@lig.net
Cc: whoschek@lbl.gov; xml-dev@lists.xml.org; public-xml-binary@w3.org;
kchiu@cs.binghamton.edu; mgovinda@cs.binghamton.edu
Subject: RE: use cases: binary XML for scientifc computing

I do believe that GGF DFDL is relevant to the discussion here.
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/dfdl-wg/ is the site, and
https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewProperties.php?group_id=113&cate
gory_id=803&document_content_id=2973 (or http://tinyurl.com/435j7 in
case email clobbered the long URL) is the most recent presentation.
Around slide 7 is where you'll find content.

Here's a snippet to give you the "DFDL" idea:

E.g., a description of a million element array of little endian double
floats would be this XSD:

<sequence>
   <element name="data" type="double" minOccurs="1000000"
maxOccurs="1000000">
       <annotation><appinfo source="http://dfdl.org">
            <representation repType="binary" byteOrder="littleEndian"/>
       </appinfo></annotation>
   </element>
</sequence>

Several people and companies have been exploring this notion, so we're
trying to standardize it.

I feel DFDL differs from binaryXML in being descriptive of format rather
than prescriptive of format. This matters why?

1) Legacy data formats - Much of the complexity of DFDL comes from the
need to handle quite complex legacy formats which are tricky to
describe.

2) New data formats, but you need random-access I/O capabilities or the
ability to memory map the files into some exact memory layout with all
the alignments and inter-item offsets exactly specified.

3) you don't want to bother to have to use any particular XML-oriented
library to write out your data. So long as the data format is
describable in DFDL you can do your I/O with ordinary I/O operations. In
other words minimal investment has to be made up front in worrying about
data format and data interchange issues. DFDL lets you "just get on with
it".

If none of these 3 apply, then either XML or binaryXML *should* be the
right thing depending on your data size and performance needs. If you
are just after efficiency and density then DFDL may be less effective
for you since a DFDL-described data file isn't necessarily nicely
self-contained like an XML or binaryXML file should be. (Though we do
have a placeholder on the issue of how to associate DFDL descriptors
tightly to binary data so they can't get separated.)

...mikeb
Mike Beckerle
co-chair DFDL WG, GGF

  _____