Re: Can we have @lang back in XHTML Family?

XHTML 1.1 / XHTML Basic 1.1 will permit both @lang and @xml:lang.  They
state that @xml:lang takes precedence, and advises authors to ensure
that if both are specified they have the same value.  I think from a DOM
perspective these are NOT the same attributes in XHTML 1.1 / XHTML Basic
1.1.  I don't think they should be treated specially.  The only reason
to support this in XHTML 1.1 / XHTML Basic 1.1 today is to increase the
protability of XHTML content to current HTML user agents.

The ideal solution would be that future versions of HTML include
"xml:lang" and prefer it - that way documents would just work without
alteration when processed as HTML and when processed as XML.