Re: Document Character Set, UNICODE, xhtml-access, and @key

Steven Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 00:54:35 +0200, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So..... What does this mean for us.  I think it means we are saying
>> an @key value is an ISO 10646 character from the 'Char' production of
>> XML.  And that a user agent needs to map that into its local
>> processing (document character set) before registering an event
>> handler that maps the key to some event (change focus, actuate or
>> not).  Moreover, I think that @key is explicitly NOT a character from
>> the document character set.  But.... I am not an expert in this area,
>> and I could be wrong.  If there really is an issue here (as Tina and
>> I suspect there is) I think we can just submit it as a last call
>> comment against our own document.  This is pretty subtle.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but the document character set is always ISO
> 10646 in XML (and modern HTML). So the only mapping that needs to be
> done is the standard mapping from the character encoding as the
> document comes in to ISO 10646.
>
> Or do I misunderstand your question?
No.   I think maybe I don't know what the document character set is. Is
it your belief that the document character set has nothing to do with
the encoding that is specified in the document header or media type?
For example, if I have an xml declaration that indicates an encoding of
Shift-JIS what does that mean for the DCS?  If the DCS is still ISO
10646, and user agents are expected to transform the content from/to the
encoding, then that's great.   I think anyway.