Re: [XHTML] document type

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 01:58:09PM +0100, Roland Merrick wrote:

> Greetings Tina, are you suggestinting creating new identifiers each of
> which signify a list of document types?

  That would be one solution as I see it. The FPI identify the grammar
  used in the document, and it's not likely we'll run out of FPIs any
  time soon :)

  I consider it extremely important that we have some way of correctly
  identify the grammar(s) in use, and the DOCTYPE is the traditional
  method of doing so. Unless there is a /technical/ reason why we can't
  keep using it, I see no need to change it.

  There have been arguments that the use of a DOCTYPE imply the use of
  a DTD, but frankly that's simply an assumption. As long as we agree
  that the FPI identify *a grammar*, then the connection between that
  grammar and the method used to express the grammar isn't dependent on
  the FPI.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe           siteSifter                  Greytower Technologies
                 http://www.sitesifter.co.uk          http://www.greytower.net