ARIA Example from GJR (was Re: XHTML 2 working group request)

aloha!

first, let me tender my retrospective regrets for missing this
morning's XHTML2 working group meeting -- i have a 2 week old
migraine i can't shake, and it was some of its ancillary side
affects that kept me from attending the call, which a great
disappointment to me, as there is much to be done and much to
be discussed, especially in the realm of ARIA integration and
recent developments on that front...

in answer to RichS' inquiry on behalf of the WG, the genesis of the
post archived at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xhtml2/2007Jul/0012

was quite simple -- after discussing terse and long descriptions and how
ARIA markup could be used to create bindings, i was asked by the XHTML2
WG (in particular, StevenP) to provide an example of ARIA markup used to
describe and contextualize a static image, as i had suggested to the ARIA
editors before i discovered that the ARIA spec itself would not contain
any ARIA markup for validation purposes...

it was a purposefully simple illustration so as to illustrate the
bindings possible with ARIA that could be used to provide a long
description of an image using content embedded in the document itself as
descriptor text, while simultaneously stressing the connection between
the description and the illustration not only programmatically, but
visually, as well, for those who can see, but who prefer to examine
detailed objects as a self-contained whole, hence the wrapping of the
image and the caption text in a visual box, so as to indicate to those
not using ARIA markup such as those with cognative processing issues
(which won't be addressed until version 2.0) at least have a concrete
binding alerting them that this image is related directly to this
text...

the example was originally sparked by our conversation late last year or
earlier this year about provision of LONGDESCs for the illustrations and
diagrams in the ARIA documents, as you were loathe to use actual
LONGDESC pages, due to the extra effort involved in maintaining them
as the draft is updated...

i made a careless CSS error in my original post, which i had to correct
with the follow-up post archived at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xhtml2/2007Jul/0013.html

the always astute gez lemon followed up my post with an alternate
suggested means of using ARIA to provide bindings between the image
and its textual "equivalent" or "expansion"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xhtml2/2007Jul/0014.html

i hope this clarifies the example's purpose and content -- if not,
please let me know and i will attempt to be clearer,

gregory.
  BIGOT, n.  One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an
  opinion that you do not entertain.           -- Ambrose Bierce
               Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net
  Camera Obscura:             http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
  Oedipus' Online Complex:    http://my.opera.com/oedipus/
  United Blind Advocates for Talking Signs: http://ubats.org/