Re: XHTML 1.1 validator rejects xml:space attributes

Hi Shane,

On Oct 11, 2007, at 01:17 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> The XHTML 2 Working Group suggests that you try very hard to NOT
> include our DTDs directly in your distribution, instead referring
> to the authoritative locations for them.  That way, when we make
> fixes like these, it will just work for your users.

DTD traffic has to be the single most expensive and problematic issue
in terms of w3c infrastructure, and w3c as a whole (incl the TAG) has
been promoting the use of caching and cataloguing to alleviate that
situation. As a result, I am reluctant to have the markup validator
fetch a DTD (or, in the case of modular specs, a dozen) every time a
validation request is made (that's a couple million times a day, IIRC).

Are these DTDs changing so often that it would be a burden for the
XHTML WG to drop a mail to www-validator saying "the DTD for foo has
been updated, please update your catalogs"? Remember, readers on this
list include not just developers for the W3C's validator, but pretty
much all of them.

That said, if a DTD is changing a lot for a period of time, we could
remove it temporarily, upon your request, from the validator's
catalog, but that should not be systematic.

> Having said that, yes - the XHTML 1.1 DTD has been updated in a
> working draft that will soon go to PER status.  That draft fixes
> the problem with xml:space and a couple of other minor issues.  It
> is 100% backward compatible with the previous version.

Thank you for the info. When is the PER expected to be published?

thanks,
--
olivier