Re: The equivalence of <title> with the title property

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:27:41 -0600
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
CC: XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

Steven Pemberton wrote:

> As I edited the minutes of the call, I noticed Shane's remark on IRC
> for the first time:
>
> "ShaneM: Note that the RDFa spec does not say that something with a
> property of dc:title is the same as / overrides the title element."
>
> That is absolutely true. But the XHTML2 spec says:
>
> "The title of a document is metadata about the document, and so a
> title like <title>About W3C</title> is equivalent to <meta about=""
> property="title">About W3C</meta>."
>
> So we say that the title element is semantically equivalent to the
> html:title property (and I hope we say the same about the title
> attribute somewhere, I need to check; no we don't, needs to be added).
We do not, and have never, said that the title attribute is semantically
equivalent to the title element.  And I don't think that it is.  @title
refers to a title for a given element and its contents.  a @title on the
body element *might* be construed as the title for the document, but
would be counter to the I18N concerns we are trying to address in XHTML 2.

> For this reason, I would also like to propose that we remove the
> requirement that there MUST be a title element in every <head>.
I think I would object to that - it would mean that incremental
rendering would become impossible.  At the very least a user agent needs
to discover the title of a document quickly so it can put SOMETHING on
the window while it is processing and rendering.  If we do not require
the title element, then a document would need to be completely parsed
and processed before the primary title could be discovered.